Radiant Orchid has been officially named color of the year 2014!
Pantone has officially announced the color of the yer 2014: Radiant Orchid! Although it might sound a bit complicated, it is nothing different than just a pink purple. Or a purpink?
Anyway, it’s color code in PANETONE’s technical digits is 18-3224. And brace yourselves, because soon all the shops will have everything in this shade in particular for you to choose from!
But why did they pick this shade this year? Well…
According to the official press release, eatrice Eiseman, executive director of the Pantone Color Institute, explains:
“While the 2013 color of the year, PANTONE 17-5641 Emerald, served as a symbol of growth, renewal and prosperity, Radiant Orchid reaches across the color wheel to intrigue the eye and spark the imagination, An invitation to innovation, Radiant Orchid encourages expanded creativity and originality, which is increasingly valued in today’s society. An enchanting harmony of fuchsia, purple and pink undertones, Radiant Orchid inspires confidence and emanates great joy, love and health. It is a captivating purple, one that draws you in with its beguiling charm.”
The self-declared official controller of the entire visible spectrum has been establishing the official color for the entire year since 2000. Here are the past official colors:
- PANTONE 17-5641 Emerald (2013)
- PANTONE 17-1463 Tangerine Tango (2012)
- PANTONE 18-2120 Honeysuckle (2011)
- PANTONE 15-5519 Turquoise (2010)
- PANTONE 14-0848 Mimosa (2009)
- PANTONE 18-3943 Blue Iris (2008)
- PANTONE 19-1557 Chili Pepper (2007)
- PANTONE 13-1106 Sand Dollar (2006)
- PANTONE 15-5217 Blue Turquoise (2005)
- PANTONE 17-1456 Tigerlily (2004)
- PANTONE 14-4811 Aqua Sky (2003)
- PANTONE 19-1664 True Red (2002)
- PANTONE 17-2031 Fuchsia Rose (2001)
- PANTONE 15-4020 Cerulean (2000)